Saturday, June 30, 2012

Caroline


On the plane ride back to USA from Paris to Detroit I was sitting in seat 1B and seat 1A was empty and I was happy since I could use it to store my Ipad and my headphones and other gear that I had with me that I planned to use during the trip.

The doors were getting ready to shut and I sensed a young lady get it, she was flustered and had a heavy bag and the stewardess had to help her to lift it up to put in the overhead.  In fact I even lent a hand while sitting to help lift the suitcase into the overhead.

Then in seat 1A sat one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.  I can guarantee you that on the entire plane Caroline was the most beautiful women.  So here she was sitting next to me.  In a man's imagination this would have been a dream come true when I was younger.  Now that I am a little bit older, it was nice, but not some dream come true.

I was glancing at her as the plane was taxiing for the takeoff and  noticed a tear at the corner of her eye.  She was visibly upset.  More tears and brought out a paper tissue and dabbed her eyes.

I have always been bad at dealing with women crying and if faced with it, I would likely avoid it.  Anyway I found Caroline crying to be sweet and so innocent to make it truly beautiful.  So yes, there are times when a women is crying that is very beautiful.

Caroline introduced herself to me and on that 10 hour flight I felt like I got to know her very well.  What made Caroline truly beautiful was that I really do not think she knew how beautiful she was.

Caroline was from Atlanta and had just turned 23, had recently graduated from University of Alabama with a hospitality degree and during the summer had met a French boy while working and had fallen in Love or a Strong Like.  So Caroline went to live with her boyfriend in Paris, France and she had been staying with him for 10 months.  Her parents were very unhappy that she was putting her life on hold, but finally agreed that it was OK.

Caroline and her boyfriend took an apartment together and had a great time.  She explained how tight money was and that luckily her boyfriend liked to cook how great food was in France.  She babysat 2 young girls to make some extra money and even though money was tight, she said that she loved every minute of it.

Some of the best moments in life for me also have been those simple moments when you struggled and a simple dinner out was a major event.  I miss being innocent and poor.

Like I said I got to know Caroline and her family very well.  Carolines mother was a nurse and her father was a doctor but was now on disability.  She said that her parents to do get along at all, but were staying together for the kids sake.  Caroline had 3 other sisters, aged 20, 18 and 16.  I am embarrassed to say that I forgot all the other names.  But the 20 year old had an bulimia and anorexia problem and weighed just 80 pounds.  The 18 year old was living with a 27 year old and the family was extremely unhappy with this.  The 16 year old was just fine and no issues.

Also Caroline's mother was dog fanatic and they had 3 labs.  Her mother called the dogs her children with fur.  They lived in a big house on 5 acres so space was not a problem.  Since it was the summer time, they had a beach house and family was spending the summer at the beach house.

I was smiling when she told me how unhappy they were that the 18 year old was living with the 27 year old.  In fact the family even cut her off, because of her refusal to stop seeing him.  She choose him over the family when the parents gave her an ultimatum and using the only leverage they had, they cut her off financially.

So why was I smiling?  That was the same exact age that my first wife and I had met and started going out.  I told Caroline about this.  But Caroline said that her sisters boyfriend was a drug dealer and had no future and that is why the family was unhappy, she approved of my relationship.

Why I enjoyed talking to Caroline was that it reminded you of what life is really about.  The simple beauty of true love.  The strength to leave USA with $1000 cash and live in Paris for 10 months.  What can be sexier than simply not caring what others think and doing what your heart wants you to do.  I simply loved Caroline for her heart.

By the way Caroline will be working in the events section of the Carlyle Hotel in New York in case anyone wants to meet a fine human being.  She will be starting there from the 2 week of July.

Just to remind you the premise of this story was: There are times when a women is crying that is very beautiful.