Thursday, June 14, 2012

Eventual Shortages

I was with my cousin and her husband and a few other relatives and we were talking about impending shortages of crude oil and other fossil fuels.  When I say impending I was talking in the sense of 500 years from now and we were discussing what human being were going to do to survive when cheap fossil fuels would be a history lesson for the future on how much this generation has wasted a planets wealth.

Fossil fuels take millions of years to develop and we are likely going to using them up in less then a few thousand years.

If you look back to the past say 100 years ago the world was just fine and we made do without fossil fuels.

In a future without fossil fuels, I wonder what the world will look like?

Will we go back to the agrarian society that we were?

Will we really find alternative energy on such a large scale to fuel a whole planet?

I enjoy theoretical discussion like this, but with the current group of friends that I hang out with, these type of discussion are impossible.

I think I need to find a new group of friends for discussions like this.  I need a few IIT graduates that I can hang out with on a regular basis.

I even miss my chess games that I used to play.  I was playing with a friend recently and it was so much fun to have to think.  My mind needs those challenges again.