Sunday, January 20, 2013

I am so Confused - Part 2

I know at my age I can talk pure finances and obviously you can say I am valuing love as nothing.  That is not what I am saying at all.  Happiness and money are almost unrelated and happiness really is what you feel on the inside.  I was happy when I had nothing and I am happy when I am well off.  I loved the struggle when I had nothing.  I guess I am trying to say that I would prefer our girls choose a life that has a more certain path to success.  But I think when you allow girls to date and they fall in love with somebody, then it is too late.  There is no way this girl is going to listen to the parents anymore.

Young girls know almost nothing about life.

If I have a baby girl what are my responsibilities?

I know what I want for her.

To Love Telugu Movies
To Love to visit India and her relatives
To want to marry a Telugu boy
To excel in her education
To be an exceptional athlete

That is what I want for my daughter.  So how do I get this accomplished?

Here is what I was planning:

I was planning on having her stay in India every summer for 3 months during summer vacations
I was planning on hiring the best tutors and coaches for education and sports
I was planning to take her to every good Telugu movie at the theatre
I was planning on keeping her so busy with activities, she will not have time for dating
Do not let her work trivial jobs - I do not see anything to gain from it
Do not allow her to date
Do not allow her to participate in American traditions like Prom etc..
No spending the night over at friends houses.
Send her to an all girls high school
All movies nights with friends or hanging out is OK, but she has to be home by 11 pm, no exceptions
Try and get her married early.  By the age of 22 preferably.  

OK, so that is the list I have come up with so far.

But then the big question comes up, what are my obligations to my Telugu clan?

Why am I insisting that she marry Telugu?  Is this really my job?
No Prom, No dating?  - Am I really that kind of dad?  Must I become that kind of dad?

Now that I am going to be a father, I am more confused than ever on what is right and wrong.