Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Rocky Mountaineer

I was reading about the great rail trips of the world and one of the trips that came up was the Rocky Mountaineer.  It is a 2 day trip from Vancouver to Calgary or vice versa.

Since the labor day weekend was coming up, I had four trips in mind:

1) Sujey has invited me to come to a cabin on the lake with their family. - The Kallumadanda family is always a little rambunctious  and fun to hang with.  Of course any activities on the lake such as Jet Skiing is always fun.

2) Taking the Rocky Mountaineer Trip - A 2 day train trip from Vancouver to Calgary.

3) Go to Niagara Falls - I know I went as a little kid, but I do not remember them at all.

4) Go and hang out with Dr Bobby - I did not tell Bobby that I was coming, but I figured I would invite myself to Orlando to hang with the kids.  It is always fun to hang out with Bobby.

Of these I was leaning towards the Rocky Mountaineer.  Here were the testimonials:

Testimonials

Spectacular doesn't even adequately describe the scenery. The accommodations were fabulous! The food was to die for! The service was beyond stellar!
Lynda Sykes
Ontario, Canada
Once you’ve stepped aboard one of the Rocky Mountaineer’s custom made bi-level rail coaches, fine dining, leisurely pace, a focus on the natural world, and impeccable service conspire to deliver the ultimate vacation commodity: time.
Glenn Kaufmann
Highroads Magazine (AAA Arizona), January 2011
Our trip truly was a trip of a lifetime. We plan to do this trip again in a different season.
Corrine and Daniel Elston
Colorado, USA
The views from the GoldLeaf dome car were breathtaking, the service was incredible and I would honestly recommend it to anybody. Yes, this IS the most spectacular train trip in the world.
George Lewis
Florida, USA
The entire trip lived up to your slogan, The Most Spectacular Train Trip in the World. In my opinion, the Rocky Mountaineer is a national treasure.
J.R. McCaig
Calgary, Alberta

Here is the link for the the Rocky Mountaineer: (Just click the link and it will take you to the website)

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_US/

Like I said it is supposed to be the most beautiful train trip in the entire world.

So I started looking up the price and for the 2 day trip it would cost $2000 per person just for the train trip.  Then the Indian side of me came alive and said wooooo.  I mean come on, $10,000 is almost meaningless to me, so you figured for the wife and I for a 4 day trip including flights and 1 day in Vancouver and then the train ride and then an additional 2 days to discover Calgary would cost at most $10,000.

I think I am still Indian, because the cost to me seemed way too high for a train trip.

I have not made up my mind on what to do for Labor Day, but I will make a decision soon.  I am hoping that I choose the Rocky Mountaineer, since it is supposed to be the most beautiful train trip in the world.  But then the Indian side is competing heavily in me to go to Niagara Falls, since we can do this for $500.

Hummm.  $500 vs $10,000 for an experience.   Hummm.

Vijay do not be a cheap ass, just do it.   Hummmmmmmmmmmm.

The wife is pushing for Niagara Falls, she likes to see a lot of money in her bank and feels safe that way.  She was relatively poor in her first marriage and I think she remembers the tough times.

Hummmmmmmmmmm.