Saturday, June 26, 2021

Why Having Too Money Can Make You A Shitty Dad

I have known 3 billionaire families in my life and almost all of them have the exact same issues.

My friend Srinu in India and his family have huge money and are also Billionaires.  Last time we calculated their net worth, it was around 250,000,000 and that was in 1995.  We filled in an application to get the McDonalds franchise to India and own all McDonalds in India.  During that time I was given access to their accountant and I filled in their application myself.  That 250,000,000 dollars in 1995 has now turned into billions. 

But his dad was so busy with business he never bothered to raise his son and instead would give lectures to him once in a while under the guise of parenting.  So what did his dad get by being a bad parent.  I know Srinu is a heavy drug user and last time I told him what he was doing was wrong, he told me that he cannot even sleep without taking drugs and he does not think he can stop now.  

I see the exact same thing repeating with my rich friend.  He is awesome at making money, but in my opinion a shitty dad.  Instead of supervising his kids himself, he will hire someone.  Two of the kids are crazy smart and got perfect scores on their ACT.  But they are also super lazy and their grade point average was below par and both kids got into subpar colleges for their level of intelligence.

Their dad will yell at the mom or he will blame Deepu who was hired to make sure that they do their work and submit it.  He will never take blame himself.

But who cares if he makes the family another 10 millions dollars.  There is nothing more important than your kids.  You need to look after them.  You need to vacation as a family with them.  You need to supervise their work.  You need to do the work and not just hire and pay people to do work for you.  Their is no better role model and teacher than you.

I blame the kids inability to get into an Ivy league as a failure of the dad.  He needs to have taken the time and done the work that was necessary for the kids to succeed.