Saturday, October 26, 2013

Shoulder Pain

I have been having shoulder pain for about 1 year now.  My wife insists that I go to the doctor.  I know exactly what the issue is, but I just do not speak out.

I am terrible at controlling my diabetes.  I currently have almost 120 units of Levemir and about 100 units of Humalog.  If I take this on time and as need, my Diabetes is controlled.  But most of the time what happens is that I forgot to take my evening dose.

So the day before I had to wake up at 3am to go the bathroom.  Basically what happens is very simple, your blood sugar gets too high and this osmotic pull of having too much sugar in your blood will pull in proteins into the urine.  The urine will get sticky (Too much sugar) and foamy.  I think the foam is do to the proteins.  So my wife comes to me and says to me, she was walking on the bathroom floor and it was sticky.  She wanted to know if she wanted me to book an appointment with the Diabetes doctor.

The funny thing is that I know exactly what is going on, but I feel helpless to stop it.

I know that in my current state controlling diet and exercise are the two most important things for me.  But I do neither.  I mention that I make a lot of money and with that money comes a great deal of power in a household.  I pretty much get away with my bad behavior (eating wise), because I make all the money.

So coming back to the shoulder pain.  Why do I have shoulder pain?

Like I said I am an uncontrolled diabetic, and what happens in this condition is that over time you will start losing muscle.  The first muscle that I lost was the Butt Muscle.  I use to have a nice big butt, that is gone now.  After this the next muscles that are disappearing are the shoulder and biceps muscles.  The pain is a direct result of the loss of these muscles and the fragility of the left over muscles.

I was throwing a football last summer and when I threw it, I heard tearing in my muscles and I was in massive pain.  Currently the muscles that are disappearing are my shoulder and bicep muscles.  They seem to be getting fragile and thinning out.

I figured out that there was no other option, I suck at taking care of myself, so I have booked an appointment at the Bariatric Clinic and Providence Hospital.  Seems like there is solid demand, because the next available date I could get was Dec 17th.  So after years of failure, it seems like this is the only choice and before I lose more muscle I am going to go ahead and have the Baraitric procedure done.  I hoping that it will stop the diabetes right away, and will allow my body to heal.  I understand that for a lot of people the diabetes stops right away and there is no need of Insulin anymore.

Once I get closer to the procedure date and I get it done, I will write updates.