Sunday, April 28, 2013

Grandpa Stories

My Grandfather is 94 years old and he came to visit his great great granddaughter, Priya Madala, my daughter.

He was telling me stories from the past.  He was saying that his mother, Ragamma (nickname is Aga) used to like kids and people that were very fair.  So apparently my mom was very fair and my pedamma (My moms elder sister) was not so she used to really take good care of my mom and give her lots of attention when they were growing up.  This conversation came up, because my daughter is very fair and she was holding his hand and he told me this story, while he was giggling.

Sometimes I see a lot of people are very commercial in India and care about money more than anything else.

So on May 12th my grandfather's sons daughter daughter (His sons granddaughter(Iswarya Mounika) is getting married and I told him that my mom and I were going to the wedding in Gudivada and if he wanted to come.  He said no, and said that he will attend the reception in Hyderabad.

I asked him why and he said that he does not like to sit in a car for such a long time, because the bottom of this feet start hurting, and then he told me that his daugther-in-laws sisters husband had called and said that he was not welcome at Nalani's house anymore.  Apparently he had yelled at this Nalini's husband and he did not want him coming over anymore.  My grandfather says that he does not remember yelling at him.  So anyway he said, he does really feel like they care if he attended the wedding or not, and since it was painful for him physically, he was going to skip it.

I think these are those typical family fights that happen over long periods of time when you are together.

When he was talking about Nalini's family he was was also saying that GPP Chandrasekhar Rao (His eldest son-in-law) does not talk to him anymore.  He said that he was unsure what he did to him, but his exact words were, when I go there, he sits like a Bellam Kottin Rai (Block of Jaggery hit by a rock).  I am unsure what that means.  But I think he does not interact with him at all when he goes for a visit.

I asked my dad what the issues were, he said it is those typical issues that have built up over a lifetime.  Even he is unsure but he is guessing that the issues are:

1) He had asked for help long back and my grandfather did not help. - But this was the same time that he was gambling a lot and even if my grandfather had given him money, he would have wasted it.

2) He comes to Tenali and usually goes and visits lots of other friends that he has and they are always worried that he may get sick.  They want him to stay in the house at his age and travel like he does.

I am sure there are lots of other issues that I do not know about.  But these are all guesses.

He told me a lot more stories and we will explore them tomorrow.