Saturday, November 24, 2012

Buddha and Anger

I have been very angry over the last 2 days.  Someone was talking about Budddha and how he said never to get angry. 

I was looking up what Buddha actually said and here is what I found:

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned"

“Conquer anger by non-anger. Conquer evil by good. Conquer miserliness by liberality. Conquer a liar by truthfulness.” (Dhammapada, v. 233)
 
Anger is one of the three poisons – the other two are greed and ignorance – that are the primary causes of the cycle of samsara and rebirth. Purifying ourselves of anger is essential to Buddhist practice. Further, in Buddhism there is no such thing as “righteous” or “justifiable” anger. All anger is a fetter to realization.

Buddha teaches patience and not reacting.  It would be great if I could be like that, but I am not like that.  I recognize what is right and wrong almost instantly.  I guess expecting everyone to live up to my idea of truth and fairness is unrealistic.

So I guess we can add a few more faults to my list, I get angry at dishonesty.  I get angry at unfairness.